How did the magnet high school come about?
On June 17, 2014, by a 5-0 vote, the ERUSD Board of Education passed a resolution to open a new magnet high school in ERUSD with an International Baccalaureate Diploma and Performing Arts focus. The reasons for establishing this magnet high school were as follows:
1. Unfortunately, there had been a steady decline in enrollment at El Rancho High School.
2. We wanted to attract more students and provide another choice for high school students and parents.
3. We wanted to provide a small school option for students and parents.
4. We wanted the magnet high school to have an International Baccalaureate Program offering and Performing Arts focus that would attract students and their families.
Who was on the committee identified in the Board resolution to provide input?
Based on the Board resolution, a Magnet High School Advisory Committee was formed made up of the following individuals:
- One parent from each middle school-Burke, North Park and Rivera
- One parent from each high school-El Rancho and Salazar High
- One student from each high school-El Rancho and Salazar
- One community member at-large
- One representative from the El Rancho Federation of Teachers
- One representative from the California School Employees Association
- One representative from the El Rancho Administrators and Supervisors Association
- One representative from the City of Pico Rivera
- Two ERUSD Board members